Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dymaxion Sleep Schedule - Day 5

So I ran into a major setback last night. I was a little late for my 11pm nap(got back at 11:20 so was going to go from 11:30-12:00.) and when I woke up, it was 7:20am. I know I set an alarm I think. I'm going to keep trying to adjust and will continue with normally scheduled naps today. I think my problem yesterday was, was that in my naps I wasn't able to get to sleep at 11am or 5pm. I really hope to get this schedule fully adjusted to soon. Lately I've generally felt pretty tired in the mornings and have missed class a few times due to oversleeping. Once I'm adjusted, I should be fine though.

I found an interesting book on Polyphasic sleep. It's "Why We Nap: Evolution, Chronobiology, and functions of polyphasic and ultrashort sleep." I've only read a bit of it so far, but it's got some pretty interesting stuff. Thomas Edison is quoted as saying that a normal monophasic sleep schedule is "a deplorable regression to the primitive state of the caveman." Also, some types of dolphins never fully go to sleep. Half their brain sleeps for an hour, then the other half sleeps for an hour, then they're fully awake for a hour. They repeat that 3 hour cycle during the night instead of stopping to sleep. So far the book has only really talked about reasons that might be why humans are almost exclusively monophasic. Overall pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment